Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Difficult One, Cinderella Re-Thought

As long as I can remember, Cinderella has been one of my favorite stories.  I have seen almost every version of this movie that has come out.   I am fascinated with all things about this fairytale.   I even love jelly shoes because they remind me of glass slippers!   I can sing almost every Disney Cinderella song word for word, no joke (actually listening to some of the songs as I write haha).   Yes, I know Im an adult, but something about that story has always related to me.   Anyways, tonight, after waiting about 3 years, I finally saw the 2015 version of it.  First of all, it was AWESOME!   Go see it!   I will be buying this when it comes out!   One of my favorite versions.  For so many reasons I won't share because I dont want to spoil it.   Just go see it!   Trust me!

But it got me thinking.   Every little girl has a Cinderella fantasy and dreams of being her.   We dream of the fairy godmother swooping in and using her bippity boppity magic and fixing all our problems and our prince coming in and swooping us away into our happily ever after filled with carriages and castles.  

But I think we are missing a big part of the story!   I mean, Cinderella first loses her mother, then her father, and ends up living with some awful women who completely treat her like she is a just a worthless piece of garbage.  I mean, her name is Cinderella because every day she is covered in cinder from the ashes of cleaning out the fireplace.  Her only friends were the mice and birds!   She had nobody loyal in her life!   Everyone in her life has passed away, ran away, or betrayed her except the animals!   So fast forward, the fairy godmother comes in and bippity boppity boo she is all clean, hair done, gorgeous dress, AMAZING shoes, and even a pretty awesome ride!   She goes to the ball, everyone is staring at her (Id hate that part, just saying), she meets this amazing guy (handsome although dressed pretty funny) and its love a first sight and all is well in her fairytale life.  But oh no, the clock strikes midnight.   And its love, but yet she is terrified her prince will see her for who she really is.   She doesnt know her beauty is her personality and kindess and that it shines through even the dirtiest rags.  She doesnt want her stained life to be seen.  So she runs home and hides in her attic.

Luckily, this story has a happy ending.  For two reasons.   The prince didnt care about all that.  He fought for her and chased her and did everything he could to be with her (guys, if your reading, thats what all girls want!).  But she is locked away in the attic and the royal guard comes to her house looking for who will fit the mysterious glass slipper.   She had courage!  Not only to escape the evil woman, but to confront the situation rags and all (seriously, see the new movie for some great quotes in this part!!!).

Here is the thing, I dont know about you, but I am the girl in the rags.   Yes, I LOVE LOVE LOVE sitting at home in sweats and a raggy t-shirt, but not what I meant.   My life is stained too.   Ive dealt with some pretty tough situations in my life.   If you have read any of my blog you know Im a divorced mom, and feel judged and stained because of that at times too.   Ive done things right, and Ive done things wrong and made some mistakes.   But here is the catcher for me.   I too, live my life in fear!  I admit it.  I run and hide when things get tough too.   I worry people look at me and see just the rags.    

Luckily, I have people in my life who help me see the rags, stains, and scars don't matter.  People who walk with me and are genuine and honest (and pretty funny too!).   But I had to let them see the real me too.   And you know what?  Yah, it was was scary!   But my team of awesome people, they make life so much better!   No, life will never ever be without  tough times.  That does not exist.   But when we just sit in the attic and we run and hide, we miss out on a lot.  Its time to stop putting those walls up.   Time to eliminate the evil step-mom and stepsisters in our lives (this can be friends, family, work, church issues, habits, whatever is holding your life in a sadder state).  Time to move forward and enjoy the castle my friends!   Don't worry about the work it takes to get there (how many floors did the poor princess have to scrub!?), its worth it.  Just move forward and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment