Friday, July 22, 2016

My thoughts on the Black Lives Matter movement..........


OK, so I know this is a touchy subject for a lot of people, so let me first off stating I am far from racist!  I feel like anytime you bring this subject up, that is the first thing people want to run to.  I promise I am not!  When my daughter was born, one of the first toys I bought her was a black baby doll.  I was determined to not let her grow up only playing with toys that looked like her and wanted all my children to grow up seeing no color.   When I used to homeschool them, I always did a lesson on Black History month and we focused a lot on the civil rights movement.  I can remember watching videos of that time frame with them and us all crying together over how people were treated as humans!  (So please read this to the end and hear my heart before casting your own judgement!)

The very reason above, is the very reason that the whole Black Lives Matter movement truly breaks my heart.  I truly believe that all BLM is doing, is creating racism.  

I have several black friends who I have been able to have real conversation with on both sides of the debate.  And that is exactly what we need to be doing is having conversations in love!

I understand and agree that there is still racism in our country!  Especially in certain areas of the country, black people are still looked at very differently.  A few years ago, I lived in a small town in Alabama.  I remember making friends with one black lady there (sadly there were not many) and she would tell me she wouldn't even go to garage sales in certain towns because several times she had things thrown at her and hateful words yelled out at her!  There are areas in our country where the KKK is still alive and active.  Growing up in an urban area, I was shocked at a lot of this!   But it is definitely real people!

However, I do not believe in the old "an eye for an eye" mentality.  What I see the majority of BLM doing is just that.   I do not see it bringing up many constructive converstations.   Even in the last week in my own area, I have seen acts of hate!  Burning down police cars, calling law enforcement officers pigs, making threats.  Even if it is a "peaceful protest", if they are shouting out words of hate and anger.....if they are blocking roads and sidewalks (to other people who just have place to go or jobs to get to), what message do you think that really sends?  Do you think it makes people want to listen to your side?  Your situation?

I have talked to a lot of people on both sides of this because this is an issue right now that is very dear to my heart and very personal to me.  Here is what I am hearing.

From the black people, they just want people to understand how they still live in fear.  They want the racism to stop.  I understand that no matter how hard I try to understand, how much I love them and have compassion for them, as a white female, there is no way I can ever truly understand exactly what they deal with.

From white people, I have friends who have truly grown up color blind, learning to be more afraid of black people.   The hate that is going on, causes them to think twice when they are walking down the street and someone of another color walks by.   They wonder if the next black person will attack them simply because they are tired of the racism and they are angry.  Do you see what I mean?   This movement and the way it is being presented, its stirring up racism in people it was never there!!!   HEART BREAKING!!!!

Now let me also tell you why else this is very personal to me.  As any of you that already know me, know that my heart belongs to a police officer!  All this hate is being geared primarily to the ones who keep us safe.   There are many police officers who just got back from Afghanistan who felt safer there then they do in our own country right now protecting us!  The police officers are worn down from being on extra alert!  I am hearing of other stories locally such as police officers driving their kids home and having people drive up next to them shouting out threats on their life, not just threatening them but their own CHILDREN!

Yes, there are bad cops out there!  Believe it or not, I've dealt with one myself personally too!   But let me first say, there are bad people in every profession, race, religion, you name it!  I dont see any groups on police officers rallying together anywhere to intentionally harm other black people!   And believe it or not, when a cop does do something wrong, they do get held accountable!  They lose their jobs, they even go to jail!  But with that being said, of course the media never shows it when the bad police officers have to pay that accountability.   And a lot of times when the media goes after a cop for being "bad" and people get angry because they don't see that cop being held accountable, it is because the media NEVER EVER shows the whole story!    Usually much later with a ton less publicity, it comes out that there was just cause for the incident.

People do not realize how hard it is to be in that profession.  Yes, they chose it!   Many would choose it again and again even with all the junk today!  Something as little as a traffic stop, can turn into a shoot out in a second!  They have to act on instinct, something they go through a lot of training on and have continued training as well!  I will always sway in their favor until I hear the whole story because of this!   They never fully clock out either.  Many of them when they go out to eat, cant sit with their back to the door, just so they can keep an eye out.  They call stuff in that looks suspicious even if they are off duty. 

Right now, there are police forces who have instructed their officers to not wear their uniforms to work, but to change in the station, for fear of their lives to and from work.  There are families of officers who have to remove any law enforcement decals and signs from their cars (signs meant to support their loved ones) for fear of something as little as a blue line on their car or their front door makes them a target for terrorists (yes thats what I call them!).  They can't attend prayer rallies for their loved ones because those very loved ones are officers who don't think its safe to show their families in those situations.  Do you not see how the very thing you want discussion about, is what is getting worse and worse?

I urge people, instead of standing with Black Lives Matter, do something in your community that will help bridge the gap between all people, especially in areas you see it such a stronger issue!!  

Yes, black lives do matter.  You should not have to be under the racism that still occurs.  But blue lives matter too, they are under the exact same scrutiny right now and so are their families!  All lives do truly matter equally!   Stop adding to the hate and start spreading some love!!!!  Stop encouraging racism without even meaning to........


No comments:

Post a Comment